Opening a VPE file from the internet explorer

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Opening a VPE file from the internet explorer

Postby nc1264 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:33 pm

We have a website that generates pdf's that are then opened by Acrobat. Because of some problems with the pdf file I want to create the vpe file instead and open it with the vpeviewer.
For that I have made some adjustments on our website that look as follows:
Code: Select all
  Response.Buffer = true
  Response.Expires = 0
  Response.ContentType = "application/vpeview"
  Set Download = Server.CreateObject("csFileDownload.BinFile")
  Download.FileName = "c:\download\sample.vpe"
  Download.StreamFile
  Response.End

The webpage, however, opens the file itself (and shows it in the browser). It is possible to start the vpeviewer for this. When checking the registry I do not see an entry for this.

In your samples you show how to do this within the browser but I would like to do with only with the VPEviewer. Can this be done.
On the server we have W2003Enterprise, VPE2.5Enterprise.
nc1264

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:58 pm

We do not know such internals about how to associate a file extension with - and how to connect an external program to - Internet Explorer. Maybe someone else can answer this question.

Regardless of that I doubt that you can embed VPEView.exe within the window of the browser. But for this job you can of course use our ActiveX within IE.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby nc1264 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:33 pm

I'm not looking to show the document inside of the browser because for that I could/should the activeX variant.
I was looking for something like a pdf file where you have the option to show the document inside of the browser or in the Reader.
For that the "application/pdf" can be found in the registry and that opens up Acrobat Reader.
I was looking for something similar so that the application/vpe would open up VpeView. Doing this outside of the browser if fine for me. I don't need the events that you can trap with the activeX control. I just want to see it.
When you hyperlink to a VPE file than VpeView is triggered.

If I discover anything on this I'll let you know.
nc1264

Postby betta » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:23 am

We have the same problem here. We are using an application that generates a lot of large reports in VPE format and don't want to print them but instead to distribute them by putting them on a website as they are needed on many locations.
So, a solution would be much appreciated...
TIA
betta

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Why not use the PDF Export module?

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby betta » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:13 pm

As I understand the PDF Export Module is sold as an addon.
The VPE documents are generated by IMOS Act/IMOS Design and it's obvious that IMOS does not (re)distribute a version that includes such a feature (Only a simple VPE View).
Of course that we could use a virtual printer (many freely available) to save our reports but than again, this would complicate things to users!
At this moment I would temporarely settle for opening VPE docs in IE but were is that ActiveX ? (And to whom should I ask for it?)
TIA
betta

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:15 pm

The ActiveX is part of the VPE SDK (Software Development Kit). You need to acquire a license of the VPE SDK in order to be able (and legally allowed) to use and deploy the ActiveX.

You should ask the manufacturer of IMOS (who already has a VPE SDK license) to license also the PDF Export Module.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby betta » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:56 pm

Thank you :!:
It's all clear now. (And up to a higher level :lol: )
betta

Return to VPE Open Forum