Why is the E-mail icon greyed out on previews on one compute

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Why is the E-mail icon greyed out on previews on one compute

Postby Bengt » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:53 am

One of my customers have a small computer network. After installing a new computer everything works except that E-mail icons in previews are disabled. How can it be so? Normally, clicking on the E-mail icon is caught and E-mails are send using Chilkat and G-mail by this customer. This works fine for all other computers there. I use VPE 7.1.

Bengt
Bengt

Re: Why is the E-mail icon greyed out on previews on one com

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:20 pm

If the icon is grayed out, no Simple MAPI or Extended MAPI layer is installed on the system.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Bengt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:28 am

Outlook 2019 is installed on that machine so MAPI was definitely installed, but I had forgotten to install Chilkat. After doing that, the icon was enabled. As they use G-mail, access of less secure apps had also to be allowed on the G-mail account. Then it worked.
Bengt

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:07 pm

What is Chilkat, what does it do?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Bengt » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:48 pm

It is a cross-platform API which I use for sending E-mail when the installed E-mail client doesn't start when clicking on the E-mail icon. Before, there was often problems with Outlook, but now I have at least one case where even Thunderbird doesn't work. I call the Chilkat API from OnVpeBeforeMail. The E-mails are send without using the installed E-mail client, but in most cases it is possible to put a copy of the sent mail in the Sent folder. It has worked very well for me, the price is reasonable and support is good.

https://www.chilkatsoft.com/
Bengt

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 am

When the e-mail button is enabled after installing chilkat, then they fiddle around with the SMAPI or XMAPI DLLs. VPE tries to load either DLL. If both can not be loaded, VPE disables the e-mail button.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum