VPE still displays the demo banner (solved)

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

VPE still displays the demo banner (solved)

Postby omihai_2000 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a valid license for VPE Professional Edition v4.00 (4.0.4.0), installed on a Windows7 x64 machine. The problem is that the demo banner still appears on all PDF docs I generate (from RTF). What could be the problem ?

Thanks.
omihai_2000

Re: VPE still displays the demo banner

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:16 pm

This may have many different causes. First, make sure you do not try to license a newer version of VPE with your old v4.0 license key, this does not work.

Next, v4.0 is not approved for Win 7. From a technical point of view, licensing should be possible on Win 7, but we have never tested it. In case you wish support for this issue - without guarantee that a working solution can be found - please purchase premium support and contact our technical support by e-mail. When doing so, please provide the following information:

- Your complete License Key and Support Account Number
- The operating system your are using, including installed service packs.
- Are you using the DLL, .NET, ActiveX, Java or VCL component?
- With what language / programming tool (C++, C#, VB, Delphi, ...) and version are you working?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby omihai_2000 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Hello,

Actually I'm using my old kit with the old license code, so this should not be the problem.
If you're saying that Windows 7 can be the problem, then what version do you recomand ? Will it also work on a x64 system ?
For development, I'm using C#.

Thank you, Merry Christmas !
omihai_2000

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:07 am

We recommend the latest version, which is v6.10 at present. 32-bit software can be executed on Windows 64-bit. It is executed in 32-bit mode, so your C# application project must explicitly be set to generate 32-bit code. We are currently working on a 64-bit version.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby omihai_2000 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:32 am

Thank you for the answer.

If we have VPE ver.4 Professional, will there be an upgrade version to ver.6.1 Professional available ? If we purchase the 32-bit version, what costs will the 64-bit version imply ?
omihai_2000

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:16 am

If we have VPE ver.4 Professional, will there be an upgrade version to ver.6.1 Professional available ?

As you know, you receive a yearly subscription with the inital purchase of a VPE license. The yearly subscription covers standard support and free updates to new versions of VPE. When the subscription year ends, our web portal sends 3 reminder e-mails and you have the option to prolong the subscription for another year at 45% of the current purchase price for a full new license. If you do not prolong the subscription and you wish to update to a newer version later, you need to acquire a full new license.

If we purchase the 32-bit version, what costs will the 64-bit version imply ?

The 64-bit port is a HUGE amount of work, which includes updating and adapting the core C++ DLLs, the add-on components (.NET, ActiveX, Delphi VCL, Java), the compiler project management of all DLLs / components (each in 5 editions), plus full new installers for each edition. Therefore the 64-bit version will be sold separately at the same price as the 32-bit version.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby omihai_2000 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:29 pm

Hello,

We have purchased the 6.1 Professional edition, and the demo banner is still there. Constelation:

- windows application written in .net 2.0, c#, using only the .net components (VpeProfessional.dll)
- development machine: Windows 7 x64
- before installation, I have removed the old ver 4.0.4.0

I have removed the old references to ver 4.0, added the new references to ver 6.1, rebuild, execute -> the demo banner is still present. Am I missing something ?
omihai_2000

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:05 am

Since you told us by e-mail that the demos shipped with VPE do work, we have no idea what the difference between our demo projects and your project is. Are you instantiating the VPE control by code or by placing it on a form?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby omihai_2000 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:07 am

No, I'm using the VPEControl inside the Class Libraries (also targeted for x86)
omihai_2000

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:21 am

This might be the problem. When placing the VPE control onto a form, the licensing process is performed by the Windows Forms class libraries. In your case you have to perform this step by code. We have no information how this is done. This is Microsoft technology, you should find information in the MSDN or via Google.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby omihai_2000 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 am

I'm sorry to say this, but your answer is not acceptable. Since it worked perfectly with version 4, why isn't is working now ? I never added anything on the form with version 4, only in the class libraries. Did you changed the licensing validation since version 4 ?

I also produced a very small test application, reproducing exactly the same problem (VpeControl inside a class library, and getting the DEMO sentence all over the place ...)
omihai_2000

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:53 am

If it worked in an earlier version, this might have been a bug in the licensing code. You are now talking about a class library AND a form. So I'd like to repeat my question: How is the VPE control instantiated? Is it inside a form, so that the VPE control is instantiated when the form is instantiated, or are you instantiating it directly by calling "new"?

In the first case, the form is executing the licensing process automatically and you do not need to care for it. This is also a hint for you: Place the VPE control onto a form and instantiate the form.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby omihai_2000 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:08 am

I repeat my answer: it is instantiated inside the class library, like this:

namespace myClassLib
{
public class myReport
{
private VpeControl RTF;

public myReport()
{
RTF = new VpeControl();
}

public void WriteRTF(string rtfString)
{
RTF.OpenDoc();
RTF.DevJobName = "Rich Text Format";
RTF.Preview();
RTF.nLeftMargin = 2.54;
RTF.nTopMargin = 2.50;
RTF.nRightMargin = 19.10;
RTF.nBottomMargin = 27.20;
RTF.SetDefOutRect(2.54, 2.5, 19.1, 27.20);

RTF.WriteRTF(RTF.nLeftMargin, RTF.nTopMargin, RTF.nRightMargin, RTF.nFree, rtfString);
RTF.Refresh();

RTF.WriteDoc("C:\\temp\\vpeTest.pdf");
}
}
}

Then, on the click button on the form, I call my class, like this:

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
myReport rep = new myReport();
rep.WriteRTF("TestTest");
}

You you want, I can send the solution on the support address.
omihai_2000

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Please e-mail the sample to our technical support for review.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby omihai_2000 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:41 am

Good morning,

Have you received the sample sent via the "support" e-mail account ? Did you find something ?

Thank you.
omihai_2000

Next

Return to VPE Open Forum