VPE 'Z' order

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

VPE 'Z' order

Postby JudgeTerry » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:16 pm

Is there any way to change the 'Z' order of objects in a document.

I still use version 3.20 for all my customers because I need the PIC_MERGE option for VpePicture objects. I would love to move up to version 6.00 if there was a way to insert an object below the existing objects.

I use the PIC_MERGE option for two different purposes:

1. I save copies of printed documents as .VPE files. If a second printed copy is needed, I do a VpeReadDoc and then add a vpePicture on each page as a watermark (the word COPY in large light gray letters).

2. I add small signature files to documents after they are generated. These signature files are .BMP or .JPG files. They could be converted to .WMF files and printed except for the problem that .WMF files do not seem to print properly. (see previous post)

Both of these problems would be solved if I could insert an object below existing objects on a page.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

Terry Wolfe
JudgeTerry

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:23 pm

PIC_MERGE has been removed, because it had always been an unsupported feature. It does only work with a few printer drivers.

Changing the Z-Order is not possible with the current version 6.0 of VPE. We will put this onto the wishlist, but can not promise if - or when - this will be implemented. But there is always the possibility to make enhancements in the context of an individual development contract. If you are interested, please contact us by e-mail for details.
IDEAL Software Support

VPE 'Z' order

Postby JudgeTerry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Is there any possibility of using Memory Streams to accomplish this?
JudgeTerry

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:22 pm

No. Memory Streams are the same like files, which are written to / read from memory.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:12 am

Update: The new Z-Order feature will be available in the next release of VPE Professional Edition and higher. This will allow to create watermarks in a very simple way.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum