Duplex-Printing does not work

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Duplex-Printing does not work

Postby ouzo » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:26 pm

my Xerox-Printer supports duplex-printing. From my Delphi-Code I cannot set the Value

VPEngine1.DevDuplex := VDUP_VERTICAL;

DevDuplex ist still 1.

At an other post here I readed:

Well, first of all all, you can only set the Duplex Mode for printers which support duplex printing. Otherwise the command is without effect.

I think, this is the reason why I cannot set the value. So VPE has wrong information about the capability of duplex-printing.

Any solutions ?
ouzo

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:56 pm

First of all: what version and edition of VPE are you using?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby ouzo » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:26 pm

Standard, newest version 5
ouzo

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:03 pm

It is a long time ago that someone reported problems with setting the duplex mode of a printer. This was, because until some years ago many printer drivers had bugs.

The first thing to do is: try to install a newer printer driver. If it is a PCL printer, you can also try to install a PCL driver of a different printer (even from a different manufacturer), which supports duplex printing.

Important: if this is a network printer, or if you have otherwise restricted permissions for the printer, it might be related to the permissions that you can not set the duplex mode.

If this does not help, please answer the following questions:
- What is the printer's exact product name (model number, etc.)?
- What is the exact printer driver name and version you are using?
- Is this a PCL or a Postscript printer? If it is both: in what mode are you operating the printer (PCL or Postscript)?
- Is the printer connected locally or is it a network printer?
- On what version of Windows are you working (including installed Service Packs)?
- What is the value of the property "LastError" after setting the duplex mode?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby ouzo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:39 pm

What is the printer's exact product name (model number, etc.)?

Xerox DC250

- What is the exact printer driver name and version you are using?

PostScript and PCL print drivers for 1.0 Sp 1 version of EFI EXP250 controller. Version 3

- Is this a PCL or a Postscript printer? If it is both: in what mode are you operating the printer (PCL or Postscript)?

operating , I don't know

- Is the printer connected locally or is it a network printer?

network

- On what version of Windows are you working (including installed Service Packs)?

XP SP3

- What is the value of the property "LastError" after setting the duplex mode?

If I select Duplex direct in the Driver Dialog its printing doublesided. So there are no restrictions.
ouzo

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 am

We downloaded the driver and installed the PCL version.

We then traced with the debugger all our code which is executed when setting Duplex = VDUP_VERTICAL. During the complete code path the driver responds correctly without reporting any errors or problems. When reading the value of the property "Duplex" afterwards, it is correctly set to VDUP_VERTICAL within the driver. You can verify that yourself.

BUT when clicking in the preview onto the printer button, the printer-setup dialog still says that Duplex is turned off! The driver is not conforming to the Windows printer-driver specifications. Please contact Xerox technical support to fix this problem.

Workaround: Call SetupPrinter() with a dialog as described in our help file. Make your settings and have SetupPrinter() write the settings permanently to a PRS (Printer Setup) file.

Afterwards use this file always to activate your specific settings. This is done by calling SetupPrinter() without a dialog, but by reading the PRS file. We haven't tested this for the Xerox printer, but until today this always worked.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum