Baselining Fonts

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Baselining Fonts

Postby LPF » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Have had significant issues attempting to baseline a font. Plain Text fonts apparently only return the font's height. I cannot find that the font's Ascent or Descent can be readily determined, as there does not seem to be a VpeGet(hDoc, VPERENDERASCENT). I can approximate the baseline by assigning a percentage of the returned height to the Ascent and the Descent; however, it is an approximation and I would really prefer to be a little more accurate. By another laborious method, I can kludge a baseline reasonably accurately, but my method empirically discovers a baseline and is too slow for production.

I noticed in a forum post a reference from Support to using RTF text to get/use a baseline as the post states that RFT prints on the baseline, but I have been unable to achieve that myself. The post says that at least the Professional version is needed, and I have Enterprise, so I think I fit the requirement. My tests have revealed RTF text printing/previewing from the Upper Left in the same manner as the Plain Text does, not the baseline. What am I missing?

Is there any way to programatically discover/retrieve a VPE/VPERTF font's baseline, ascent, or descent?
Thank you...
LPF

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:57 pm

There is no function to determine the baseline, ascent or descent. Text within an RTF object (Rich Text) is always baseline-oriented. Therefore you can use different font sizes within a single RTF object and all the text is oriented at the baseline.

If you need such a function - for whatever reason - you can contact us by e-mail to discuss that in more detail. There is always the option that we make special enhancements to VPE in the background of contractual work.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum