VpeSetMailSender ??? no result in outlook 2007

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

VpeSetMailSender ??? no result in outlook 2007

Postby ZensoftBelgiumHZ » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:43 pm

I try to set the sender for the e-mail VPE sends. But without result. Whatever i try the 'From'-field remains empty.

Our soft is written in OpenEdge10 (Progress), VPE Professional Edition (version 3.60.0.4). We use the vpe dll.
I've tried all the workarounds i found in existing topics (adding 'SMTP:', sending without name-resolving, etc...). Nothing helps.

The code we use is:

run VpeSetMailText in lhVpe(hDoc, {&EmailText}). /* tekst in email */
run VpeSetMailWithDialog in lhVpe(hdoc, 0).
run VpeSetMailSubject in lhVpe(hdoc, {&EmailSubject}).
run VpeAddMailReceiver in lhVpe(hdoc, "example@mail.be", 2147483647).
run VpeSetMailSender in lhVpe(hDoc, "info@mail.be").
run VpeMailDoc in lhVpe(hDoc, output x1).

Plz help.
ZensoftBelgiumHZ

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:08 pm

We do not have Outlook 2007. But we know from older versions that security configuration settings in Outlook might cause problems. By default, Outlook tries to protect the machine against forbidden access by trojans and viruses. For example make sure that Simple MAPI is enabled and that full access via Simple MAPI (Note: it is *Simple* MAPI, not MAPI) is granted. In addition it might be required that the sender is in a list of allowed senders.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby ZensoftBelgiumHZ » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:03 pm

IDEAL Software Support wrote:We do not have Outlook 2007. But we know from older versions that security configuration settings in Outlook might cause problems. By default, Outlook tries to protect the machine against forbidden access by trojans and viruses. For example make sure that Simple MAPI is enabled and that full access via Simple MAPI (Note: it is *Simple* MAPI, not MAPI) is granted. In addition it might be required that the sender is in a list of allowed senders.

I've tried the same with Outlook Express. Created 2 accounts, one with the e-mailadress used as Sender. But using VpeSetMailSender stays without result. The adress is ignored (no error). The e-mails are always sent with the default-account. Adding the sender in the list of allowed senders doesn't help either.

Probably the only solution is to dedicate one workstation for sending e-mails from our soft. Or showing the dialog-box for every e-mail.

Are there any users here who succeeded in using VpeSetMailSender without any problem???

Outlook and VPE seems to be like water and fire.
ZensoftBelgiumHZ

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:35 pm

Well, Simple MAPI is an invention of Microsoft. So if Outlook or Outlook Express have problems with Simple MAPI, Microsoft has rather a problem with Microsoft.

If I understand you right, SetMailSender does work if the Mail-Dialog is shown? So the e-mail button of the VPE preview does work? This indicates strongly that you have to change security settings.

Please note that sending e-mails is not the primary function of VPE, but an add-on. A possible workaround to send mass e-mails or e-mails without a dialog would be to export a VPE document as PDF and writing the code for sending e-mails (with the PDF attachment) yourself. In this case you can make use of MAPI (i.e. it is called "ExtendedMAPI"). ExtendedMAPI is used by Outlook to make native calls to the Microsoft Exchange server. ExtendedMAPI support is added as part of installing Outlook or Exchange. It does not work with Thunderbird and many other e-mail clients.

To answer your question: we were able to send mails with Outlook and Outlook Express. As far as I remember our last tests had been done with Outlook 2003. And I also do remember that we had to do some very tricky configuration changes in Outlook to make it work.

BTW: our internal e-mail infrastructure is based on Linux / IMAP and Thunderbird, where Thunderbird works flawlessly with Simple MAPI.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby ZensoftBelgiumHZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:50 am

IDEAL Software Support wrote:

Well, Simple MAPI is an invention of Microsoft. So if Outlook or Outlook Express have problems with Simple MAPI, Microsoft has rather a problem with Microsoft.

If I understand you right, SetMailSender does work if the Mail-Dialog is shown? So the e-mail button of the VPE preview does work? This indicates strongly that you have to change security settings.

Please note that sending e-mails is not the primary function of VPE, but an add-on. A possible workaround to send mass e-mails or e-mails without a dialog would be to export a VPE document as PDF and writing the code for sending e-mails (with the PDF attachment) yourself. In this case you can make use of MAPI (i.e. it is called "ExtendedMAPI"). ExtendedMAPI is used by Outlook to make native calls to the Microsoft Exchange server. ExtendedMAPI support is added as part of installing Outlook or Exchange. It does not work with Thunderbird and many other e-mail clients.

To answer your question: we were able to send mails with Outlook and Outlook Express. As far as I remember our last tests had been done with Outlook 2003. And I also do remember that we had to do some very tricky configuration changes in Outlook to make it work.

BTW: our internal e-mail infrastructure is based on Linux / IMAP and Thunderbird, where Thunderbird works flawlessly with Simple MAPI.

No it doesn't work either with a dialog-box. But it's the only solution to make it possible for the user to modify/fill in the 'from'-field (for every e-mail). The other option now is to create differtent profiles in outlook and let the user choose one when VPE sends an e-amail.

We use the e-mail function in VPE for several years now and it works fine so far, even with Exchange. Most of our users have Outlook/Exchange. Microsoft, you like it or you hate it. I don't like it. But everything is changing now with Google and OPen Source.

Thank you for the help.
ZensoftBelgiumHZ

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:00 am

The other option now is to create differtent profiles in outlook and let the user choose one when VPE sends an e-amail.

I am starting to become unsure what you are exactly doing. The senders you have been trying to specify by VPE:

1) Did they belong to the current user (should be)?

2) Did you try to specify the sender name, i.e. not the e-mail address of the sender?

The latter one is required, since Exchange works on the level of user names, and depending on the type of message (in this case an e-mail), it will use the protocol-specific sender address (i.e. for e-mails the e-mail address of the sender).
IDEAL Software Support

Postby ZensoftBelgiumHZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:15 pm

IDEAL Software Support wrote:
The other option now is to create differtent profiles in outlook and let the user choose one when VPE sends an e-amail.

I am starting to become unsure what you are exactly doing. The senders you have been trying to specify by VPE:

1) Did they belong to the current user (should be)?

2) Did you try to specify the sender name, i.e. not the e-mail address of the sender?

The latter one is required, since Exchange works on the level of user names, and depending on the type of message (in this case an e-mail), it will use the protocol-specific sender address (i.e. for e-mails the e-mail address of the sender).

I've tried to set another e-mail adress than mine. I.e i have permission to use the e-mail adress of support, i.e. support@mycompany.be. I can send e-mail in behalf of support. This is possible in outlook 2007 (Exchange).
Or info@mycompany.be.

But setting this with VpeSetMailSender is ignored by Outlook. I tried with 'support@mycompany.be', also with 'SMTP:support@mycompany.be' or 'support' and 'smtp:support'. None of this works. In outlook2007 I can use all these e-mail adresses without problem.

In outlook only one profile is active, and that is the one with my e-mail adress.
ZensoftBelgiumHZ

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:57 am

Did you also try "[SMTP:support@mycompany.be]" - including the square brackets and the full e-mail address?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby ZensoftBelgiumHZ » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:47 pm

IDEAL Software Support wrote:Did you also try "[SMTP:support@mycompany.be]" - including the square brackets and the full e-mail address?

Yes, without result.
ZensoftBelgiumHZ

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Then setting different mail senders is not supported by Simple MAPI. Use ExtendedMAPI.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby ZensoftBelgiumHZ » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:33 am

IDEAL Software Support wrote:Then setting different mail senders is not supported by Simple MAPI. Use ExtendedMAPI.

This means? Not using VPE for it?
ZensoftBelgiumHZ

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:09 am

Yes. If Simple MAPI, which was invented by Microsoft, does not work with Microsoft products (regarding setting different mail senders), then use Extended MAPI, which only works with Microsoft products.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum