VPE 5 and OpenDocument Format

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Postby pvanmil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:27 pm

I want to express that I am very happy with the export option in VPE 5 to the OpenDocument Text format (.odt). At this moment none of my users (including myself) is working with OpenOffice. But this option makes VPE reports more open.

With OpenOffice 3.x it is possible to save a .odt document in the Word .doc format and that works very good. For some reason the import of .odt files in Word 2007 SP2 is a disaster.

I have two questions:

1. Can the export options programmatically be limited to .ODT and .PDF? Now or in the future?

2. What can be done to improve the import of .odt files in Word 2007?

Regards,

Peter van Mil
pvanmil

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:51 am

1. Can the export options programmatically be limited to .ODT and .PDF? Now or in the future?

You can handle the BeforeSaveFile event and display your own File-Save dialog.

2. What can be done to improve the import of .odt files in Word 2007?

As far as I remember, our developers reported good results with import of ODT in MS Office. Please e-mail a sample VPE + ODT file, which causes you problems ("VPE" in the subject).
IDEAL Software Support

Postby pvanmil » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:00 pm

I will check BeforeSaveFile.

I have sent an example of a VPE, PDF and ODT file and the result after importing it in Word 2003 and Word 2007.

Regards,

Peter van Mil
pvanmil

Postby pvanmil » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:28 pm

After sending the examples and testing them by Ideal Software the conclusion is, that there is nothing wrong with VPE or the VPE export. The problem is the import of .odt files in Word 2007.
pvanmil

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:39 am

That is correct. Importing the .ODT file created by VPE with Word 2003 and the Sun ODF filter results in a perfect document. The built-in ODT import of Word 2007 has problems - at least in the current version.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum