Printer Setup

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Printer Setup

Postby kthomas » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:04 pm

Hello

I am saving the printer setup information to a PRS file. When the user run a report, it will read that setup file and select the printer that was previously selected.

The problem that I am having occurs if the Printer Driver has been deleted. On my computer (which I have administrator rights), the Program will use the default printer if the printer device has been deleted. However, If the user does not have administrator rights, the dev name in the printer setup screen will not change. Thus, when the user prints they are printing to a printer that does not exist and then theywill get some errors.

Are there any way to check to check to see if the printer device that was loaded from the PRS file is a valid printer device prior to printing? If there is a way, will this be a time consuming tasking if this is a network printer.

Also, what is the status of new version of Dycodoc?

Thanks
kthomas

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:14 pm

However, If the user does not have administrator rights, the dev name in the printer setup screen will not change.

This sounds like the user has no access rights to the default printer.

Are there any way to check to check to see if the printer device that was loaded from the PRS file is a valid printer device prior to printing?

You can enumerate all available devices using VPE and check against the selected printer. The enumeration should not cause network traffic.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum