Arabic Language Print

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Arabic Language Print

Postby dan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to print reports on arabic language with VPE? I have tried with setting the CharSet to Arabic but doesn't work...
Please tell me if it's possible and if yes what should I do(which VPE version, what settings).
Thanks a lot.
dan

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:08 pm

The arabic charset does work, but you need to select a font which has arabic glyphs.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby dan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:05 pm

Thanks for reply.

Can you please tell me where can I set the font? From the code like VpeWebControl.FontName? Thanks.
dan

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Yes, with the property FontName you specify the name of the font. With CharSet you specify the character set. Please see the help files for details.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby dan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:20 am

Hi,

Thanks for response. I need just one more thing to be clarified if it's possible. In order to print with arabic do I have to change the windows code page? I already changed CharSet and FontName and still not working..since you don't support Unicode yet, I guess this is the only left thing I must do. Am I correct? Thanks in advance.
dan

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:23 am

You do not need to change the locale. Are you using VCHARSET_WIN_ARABIC or VCHARSET_ISO_ARABIC?

Did you read the remarks section of the help file? There it says:
The Mac and Iso charsets are intended for Non-Windows platforms. They should not be used with .NET, they will not function under .NET. They can be used on Windows with the ActiveX or DLL, but in this case only for PDF file creation, the preview will display wrong characters.

In other words: the ISO charset can only be used for PDF generation, not for the screen preview. The WIN charset can be used for both.

BTW, the standard Arial font already includes arabic glyphs, I didn't have that in mind.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby dan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:45 am

Hi,

I'm using version VPE 3.6 and Dycodoc 1.10, I have only one charSet to choose from Dycodoc: ARABIC_CHARSET and also only one to choose from the code CharSet.Arabic; I think I miss something here...For the font I choosed "Arabic Transparent" in Dycodoc. How can I choose that VCHARSET_WIN_ARABIC you mentioned?
dan

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:50 pm

The things I said are for VPE v4.0. You should have said that you are using an old version of VPE and dycodoc.

For v3.60 ist should be sufficient to use ARABIC_CHARSET and for example the font Arial. We do not know the font "Arabic Transparent".

If this does not work, you should upgrade to VPE v4.0. There it works definitely.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby dan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:40 am

Hi,

Thanks for reply and patience. I have tried to print with with VPE v4 but the problem is that I set the template values from code(C#), as far as I know this is possible only with the EnterpriseEdition and you don't have one yet for v4. So I can't use v4 for printing and v3.60 I had used it's not working. By the way, any idea when the Enterprise version will be released?
Please help me if you have any other ideas how I can get this to work. Thanks in advance.
dan

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:43 pm

The Enterprise Edition v4.0 will be released next week.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby delegate » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Could it be that this is related to the codepage translation problems that the .NET wrapper had (or still has) in 3.60?

Has this really been properly adressed in 4.0?

Do you have concrete test cases or best a sample that is printing Arabic characters from a .NET client via VPE 4.0?
delegate

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:56 pm

This works in VPE v4.0. Note that the VPE v4.0 API under .NET expects Unicode strings.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum