Enterprise Release Date

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Postby bemsofpe » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:32 pm

I am looking for a printing solution for my new company ATA IT bvba. Is there any status update on the Dycodoc Reporting edition? Scheduled release date? Features?
bemsofpe

Postby potjerm » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:02 pm

bemsofpe wrote:I am looking for a printing solution for my new company ATA IT bvba. Is there any status update on the Dycodoc Reporting edition? Scheduled release date? Features?

If your software is running on Windows, the Windows version of VPE Enterprise 6.00 and Dycodoc 2.10 is available now, released a couple months ago. A trial version is also available for download on their website, as well as the complete manuals. Be sure and check the version history available on the website for additional info about what is new.
potjerm

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm

I think he talks about the reporting capability. This is still on the way. Having learned that expected release dates are difficult to fulfill, I just can say we are working on it and we *hope* to have it done until the end of 2010.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby bemsofpe » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:04 am

IDEAL Software Support wrote:I think he talks about the reporting capability. This is still on the way. Having learned that expected release dates are difficult to fulfill, I just can say we are working on it and we *hope* to have it done until the end of 2010.

Indeed, I was talking about the reporting capability. I have been using Dycodoc at my former company. I know and respect Ideal Software's "untraditional" but good view on discussing release dates :)

Is it possible to get an preliminary overview of the "reporting features" that will "probably" be available in this reporting version, as I have to have some info to promote Dycodoc and VPE at my new company?
bemsofpe

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 am

Like nearly all report generators, it will be a banded report generator, i.e. with sections:

- Report Header
- Page Header
- Group Headers
- Detail
- Group Footers
- Page Footer
- Report Footer

There can be an unlimited number of nested groups, and the grouping conditions can be specified by JavaScript code. It will provide Sub-Totals and Grand-Totals and the usual aggregate functions (like sum, average, etc.). All formulas and complete code can be entered as JavaScript code.

Sections will provide properties like "Can grow" so they will resize with objects that do resize, and "Keep with previous section" to keep sections together on a page (if possible).

Furthermore it will provide a complete DOM (Document Object Model), and an event-driven model. I.e. for an event "BeforePrint" of a section, you can enter code like:

Code: Select all
if (fieldSum < 0)
    textSum.TextColor = clrRed;

which causes the text object "textSum" to be printed in red color, if the value of the field "fieldSum" is less than zero.

The first version will not support the creation of chart objects, this is planned to be implemented in the next release (next to-do after the first release is stabilized).

In a later release we also plan to make the full VPE API available to the JavaScript engine, so you can call VPE API functions from JavaScript like

Code: Select all
for (n = 1; n <= Report.PageCount; n++)
{
    Report.CurrentPage = n;
    Report.Print(1, 1, "hello world!")
}

in an event handler. This basically means that you can code your entire reports with absolute freedom using JavaScript within dycodoc, without using VPE.

This is the reason why VPE and dycodoc are already shipped with vJavaScript3260.dll, which is the JavaScript engine. The engine is already embedded into VPE and dycodoc and handles fields.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby bemsofpe » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:55 pm

We are highly interested in this new version of Dycodoc. If you need beta-testers (or alpha-testers) at any stage, please drop me a note.
bemsofpe

Postby Patrick.Elsen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:50 am

Is the expected release date of end 2010 for the Reporting version still viable? If you need alpha- or beta-testers, just let me know.
Patrick.Elsen

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:02 am

We are working on it. Currently we are focusing on releasing the next version of VPE, so things might delay a bit.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Patrick.Elsen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:14 am

Can you share some info about what 's new in this next version of VPE?
Patrick.Elsen

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:04 pm

It will definitely bring true MAPI support (in addition to the long-time supported Simple MAPI). This solves many problems of the past with Exchange, Lotus and other mail service providers.

Other things are in the direction of providing additional components for other programming languages, like PHP, Python, Perl and Ruby. But it is at present not 100% clear, if and what components are stable enough to be released.

In addition we are working on the 64-bit port for Windows, but at present we try to solve some fundamental problems, which make it also unsure if it will be ready-to-ship with the next release.

As always it contains invisible bugfixes and improvements for dycodoc and VPE. All in all there are about 250 - 300 updates in our version control system since the last version.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Patrick.Elsen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:58 pm

True MAPI support is a real nice feature. This means we do not get the Outlook security warnings Microsoft added several years ago, doesn't it?
Patrick.Elsen

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:19 pm

The security warning shown by the Microsoft Mail Service is not related to Simple MAPI. It is displayed when an external application tries to access the address book of the messaging provider (i.e. Exchange).
IDEAL Software Support

Re: Enterprise Release Date

Postby Patrick.Elsen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:44 pm

Any updates on the release schedule for the next version of VPE and Dycodoc Reporting version?
Patrick.Elsen

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:13 am

We are currently finishing VPE v6.10 and dycodoc v2.20. They will be released in January 2011.

Regarding the reporting functionality: we are working on it, but we can not give a release date yet.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Patrick.Elsen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:13 am

VPE 6.10 is the new version with the features you mentioned in your mail of September 23th?
Patrick.Elsen

PreviousNext

Return to VPE Open Forum