OutPut to postscript

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

OutPut to postscript

Postby JcRudisill » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:42 pm

Using vpe 3.2. I have tried several ways to get the vpe object to print to postscript. Unfortunately I have no way to send a filename with the print job.
Not sure if there is a way to specify the filename for the print job or a way to export the full rtf from the vpe object so I can automate some third party product and create the postscript file that way? I assume that may not work with images though. I have tried the writedoc function but seems to create a unusable document that does not display barcodes or images.

Need the postscript file so I can store it on the server. Clients can select which format to display the doc in and then in house software converts to various format that was selected. Note batch routine generates rtf docs ran overnight and these are than posted to a remote server.
JcRudisill

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:40 am

Before supporting your problem, please e-mail your license key to our support e-mail address. You are using an e-mail address @yahoo and none of our customers has such an address, so we are unable to classify you.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby JcRudisill » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:22 pm

Sad you can't support your product without veryfing who is asking the question:(
JcRudisill

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:16 pm

Yes, it is indeed sad that people steal license keys.

You have been verified and here is the answer:

You can specify the name of the output file for a print job with the property VPE.DevFileName.

In order to make VPE print to a file, you must set VPE.DevToFile = true.

You can select the output device - i.e. a postscript printer driver - by setting VPE.Device.

I have tried the writedoc function but seems to create a unusable document that does not display barcodes or images.

This can not be true. WriteDoc() creates native VPE document files, which can of course contain barcodes and pictures. For versions prior to v4.0 the storage of pictures is non-optimal, i.e. they are stored in the document file uncompressed and they are stored as many times as they are used.

For the following reasons we recommend to use VPE v4.0:
1) Runs on Windows Vista (see http://idealsoftware.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=450)
2) Stores pictures optimal in VPE document files (i.e. compressed and only once, regardless how many times it is used)
3) Can create PDF (very fast, 100% accurate, no postscript printer driver involved)

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby JcRudisill » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:29 pm

Thank you for your reply. That worked perfectly. Don't think I even looked at those functions in the help file.

I would love to use the new version. Unfortunately I would be better off robbing a bank than asking the company to shell out money for a product much less hardware not from the 1970's.
JcRudisill

Return to VPE Open Forum