v4 HTML Export

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

v4 HTML Export

Postby davem » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi Thorsten,

I've downloaded the demo and created a quick test app. which exports some text and pictures. It all looks good (nice job by the way), but I have a problem with the path names for images inside the html. The images are passed to VPE with the whole path ie. C:\Users\Dave.M\Pictures\welcome.gif but the exported filename changes to this ../Users/Dave.M/Pictures/welcome.gif (relative to where it was created from). This is ok if you open the html file in the directory it was created but breaks down if you don't. Is there a way of keeping the original filename in the html export ?

Thanks,

Dave
Shuttleworth Business Systems
davem

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi Dave,

to be honest, we see no reason why you would want to do this.

You can either leave the property HtmlCopyImages = true (which is the default), so the images are copied to a newly created directory at the same level as the created HTML file (linked with relative paths), or you can set HtmlCopyImages = false, which causes relative paths to the original files to be written.

How do you want to make an HTML file transportable (i.e. send it from a server via HTTP to a client, or e-mail it as an attachment in a ZIP file), if you have absolute paths coded into it? It does not make sense to us.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby davem » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:45 pm

Thanks for taking time to reply again Thorsten.

In this instance I don't need to make the HTML transportable. The file was only in use whilst I created an email from it but I've just realised that this doesn't work(even with full pathnames) because Outlook doesn't send the image. I was obviously thinking it would be easy :)

On a side note, I have just tried to display a UNC pathed image which comes up with the blank placeholder image. Has UNC pathing been removed from v4(it works in 3.50) ?.

lv-vpe-hdl:OpenDoc().
lv-vpe-hdl:Picture(0,0,-1,-1, "\\prognts\e\welcome.gif").
lv-vpe-hdl:Preview().

If I change the image pathname to C:\Users\Dave.M\Pictures\welcome.gif it works.

* The HTMLExport crashes if there's an image in the document that can't be found.

** I'm running this on Vista.

Thanks,

Dave
davem

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:33 am

Hi Dave,

we tested both cases and confirm both to be bugs. We have already fixed them and the fix will be made available soon.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby davem » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:36 am

Thanks Thorsten.

Dave
davem

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:54 pm

VPE v4.0 R1 has been released today, which fixes the bug.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby davem » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:23 am

IDEAL Software Support wrote:VPE v4.0 R1 has been released today, which fixes the bug.

Thanks Thorsten.

Dave
davem

Return to VPE Open Forum