Fontproblems when using UDO in PDF-export

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Fontproblems when using UDO in PDF-export

Postby Björn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:09 pm

Hi,

I'm developing an application with GIS-interface using MapObjects (Esri). To do nice prints I use VPE, and all work fine, except when printing to PDF-file. The map prints perfectly, but if I have a maplayer with text or other font-based symolics they are all shrinked to very small size. I would guess this is due to some difficulties in calculating font-size/resolution for the udo device-context when printing not is done directly to printer or screen.

Any ideas?

Björn Leander
Districtor AB
Björn

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:04 pm

UDO's are exported as bitmaps to PDF.

To calculate your font size, you should take the properties UDODpiX and UDODpiY into account, which had been introduced in VPE v3.60.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Björn » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:55 am

So the standard devicecontext-functions does not work properly when using export to PDF?

I Notice that the getDeviceCaps(UDODc,LOGIXELSX) gives another result than the UDODpiX property...

This is terrible!

I use a built-in function in mapobjects to output a map on a devicecontext, if the devicencontext supplied is working ok everything goes well, but with this function it is obviously corrupt! (as I mentioned earlier it works well with the preview, and on any printer...)

/Björn
Björn

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:25 pm

Don't blame us for inconsistencies in the Windows operating system. When a UDO is exported to PDF as bitmap, VPE creates a device context on a bitmap. So in this case the UDODc is a bitmap DC, but Windows can not handle a specific resolution for it. For the screen, the printer and other output devices Windows can, but not for bitmaps. This is the reason we implemented the UDODpi properties.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum