Getting rids of the print dialog

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Getting rids of the print dialog

Postby Bengt » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:32 am

When printing using VPE (and Visual DataFlex 12) there are two dialogs involved. The printer setup-dialog can be controled by
Send DoVpeSetUpPrinter "ECert.PRS" 1
which means that this dialog is shown only if reading of the printer setup file (ECert.PRS) fail.

However, the print dialog always show up. Is there any way to get rid of that? When many documents one one after the other, it is very frustrating to get the setup-dialog for each one.

/Bengt
Bengt

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:18 am

If the dialog is shown, VPE can not read the PRS printer setup file - as indicated by the flag you supply to the function call (PRINTDLG_ONFAIL).

So something is wrong with this file - or the file points to a non-existing printer.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Bengt » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

That is not the problem. There are two dialogs involved when printing; the printer setup dialog and the print dialog. The printer setup dialog is controlled by SetUpPrinter depending on the parameter passed. If "1" is passed, this dialog is only shown if the setup file cannot be read. That work fine for me.

If I erase the printer setup file and then print something, first the printer setup dialog is shown and after that the print dialog. When printing a second time, only the printer dialog is shown.

The print dialog seems allways to be shown. When printing many documents one efter the other to the same printer, it would save time for the user if the printer dialog could be inactivated for all but the first of these printouts.

Regards,
Bengt Håkansson
Bengt

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:43 pm

I understand. I had thought you have a problem with the printer setup dialog.

You can hide the print dialog by specifying FALSE as parameter for the method PrintDoc().

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum