VPE Printing with VPEWebControl

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

VPE Printing with VPEWebControl

Postby madhu_amm » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:34 pm

Can anyone give me the sample code , how to print the document in asp.net with the latest version. Thanks in advance. I have some urget requirement.
madhu_amm

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:33 pm

Sample code is installed with VPE. See the subdirectory "asp.net" in the installation directory of VPE. This demo does not print, but it does generate a PDF file.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

I need printing

Postby madhu_amm » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:25 pm

Thanks for reply. We are using Activex control which is older version with javascript. with the existing application we can directly send the document to the printer. Now we are facing difficulties with code maintanance. So, using the new version of VPE we are planing to migrate to .net. I dont want to change the existing functionality. Please help.

Thanks,
Madhu.
madhu_amm

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:16 am

Where exactly is the problem with printing? Please be more specific.

In addition - and this is very important - please see the manuals of VPE v3.60: make sure your ASP account has access rights for the printer and for printing.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby madhu_amm » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:13 am

I need Printing on Client Side. We are generating tickets using VPE and the agents who purchased the tickets they will print the tickets on their machines from our web application. My ASP.Net account had the Printing permissions and as per the manuals i changed registry settings for all the users to access the printers. If possible please give me some code sample. Thanks in advance.

Madhu.
madhu_amm

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:41 pm

I still don't understand your problem. The "internet" demo shipped with VPE prints fine from the ActiveX embedded into Internet Explorer.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby madhu_amm » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:54 am

I just want to eliminate using the ActiveX control with javascript. From your reply i understood there is no way fulfill my requirement with the new ASP.Net control. Please confirm.
madhu_amm

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:37 pm

I think you understand something wrong.

ASP.NET components are executed on the server side. They are not - unlike the ActiveX - executed on the client side within Internet Explorer (ok, with scripting you can also execute parts of the code on the client, but basically the client then sends requests to the component which resides on the server).

The ASP.NET component of VPE can not be used to display a VPE preview on the client side. It is solely for the use on the server side and its main intention is to create PDF files (or VPE document files). The created PDF documents can then be sent to the client browser (and not just Internet Explorer, but any browser on any platform) for preview and printing.

VPE v3.60 is shipped with demo source code that demonstrates how to achieve this.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby madhu_amm » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:07 am

Thanks for the Clarification. it was pretty clear now.
madhu_amm

Return to VPE Open Forum