VPE embedded reportviewer and manifest files

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

VPE embedded reportviewer and manifest files

Postby pvanmil » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:03 pm

I am using VPE Professional 3.5 with de the PDF module in combination with Visual DataFlex 11.1. I am using the TUFware VPEReports classes with an embeded reportviewer.

When I am using the XP look and manifest files VPE is behaving very strange. The intial screen of the reportviewer is ok. When I am browsing to the next pages and back the report gets lost. The reportviewer screen becomes gray. The same happens with mouse-over over the tooltips of the buttonbar. This problem doesn't happen when the viewer is run as an external viewer, but then I don't have a save button for PDF files and it doesn't look as good as the embedded viewer.

A support employee of Data Access Europe analised the problem and could reproduce it. Looking at the C++ message trace he could see why VPE misbehaves when using manifest files. He determined it as a VPE problem.

Does VPE 3.5 (or 3.6) support manifest files??? What can I do to resolve this???

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Peter van Mil
pvanmil

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:16 pm

First of all, the report viewer you are talking about is not a product of IDEAL Software. We are not responsible for third party products. If this third party product has a problem, the manufacturer should verify that this is really a problem of VPE and should contact us with a detailed problem report.

Second, what do you mean by "manifest file"? Do you mean the manifest resource which enables the common controls and visual styles of Windows XP?

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby pvanmil » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:39 pm

Thorsten,

The reportviewer I am talking about is a wrapper class. The developer doesn't support it anymore. That's the bad news for me. I asked Data Access Europe if they could debug this problem.

With manifest file I mean exactly what you say.

If VPE has problems with visual styles of Windows XP, other developers should have the same problem when they are using the VPE DLL in an embedded preview. I don't know if this is the case. s this a known problem???

Peter van Mil
pvanmil

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:24 pm

We have included a manifest resource in a C++ program, using VPE in an embedded preview and we can not confirm that there is a problem in VPE. We rather believe there is a problem in the 3rd party wrapper class.

If you wish we can debug your application in order to verify 100% that there is no problem in VPE (in conjunction with the wrapper class). In this case, please load at least 12 support units onto your support account.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby pvanmil » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:09 pm

Thorsten,

Thanks for your help. I will take this back and we will try to solve it. Otherwise it might become a support item.

Peter van Mil
pvanmil

Return to VPE Open Forum