Printsetup-Dialog disappears

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Printsetup-Dialog disappears

Postby Bruno » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:23 pm

Hi,

I am printing a document using "PrintDoc(true)" which displays the printsetup-dialog. When I switch to another application (e.g. with Alt+Tab) or simply click next to the dialog, the dialog disappears and my application is blocked because the disappeared dialog is still waiting for an action. The only way to make it visible again is using Alt+Tab.
Is there a way to force the dialog to stay on top of my application?

Thanks
Bruno
Bruno

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:19 pm

The problem occurs, because you do not show VPE's preview window on the screen. In this mode, the preview window is there, but it is invisible.

By default, VPE disables the preview window when the Print Setup dialog is shown, and everything is fine (the dialog is a child of the preview, so it stays on top of the disabled preview).

In your case (preview not shown), make the invisible preview window of VPE a child window of your application's window. This can be achieved by:

when using the VPE DLL: use the flag VPE_EMBEDDED when calling VpeOpenDoc()

when using the VPE Control (.NET/ActiveX/VCL): set the property "ExternalWindow = false"

Hope this helps, because you have the special case that your main applications window is a modal dialog (as you had informed me by e-mail). Please keep the forum informed, if this works also for your modal main window.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Bruno » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:34 pm

I had to do two things to solve this problem:

1. I had to set the properts "ExternalWindow" to false (thanks for this one, Thorsten). But without the next step the printer dialog was placed infront of Application.MainForm but behind the modally opened window (the one that starts the print process)
2. I had to set the modally opened window as parent of the invisible preview window

Thanks a lot
Bruno
Bruno

Return to VPE Open Forum