PDF printing on pages 2+

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

PDF printing on pages 2+

Postby Uwe Keim » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:46 am

When using the PDF module (version 3.5 and 3.6 both behave the same), a document that has more than one page is printed with "errors" on page 2 and the following pages.

The errors are:

- The top border of the pages are way too high, the text starts on the middle of the page.
- some items like lines etc. are omitted from printing.

I am using the same code for VPE-printing and PDF-printing; the VPE-printing code does things correctly, the PDF-printing code incorrectly with the errors described above.

I can provide you with screenshots or PDFs if requested.

Question: Could you please tell me whether there are any issues with PDFs and multiple page printing?

Thanks
Uwe
Uwe Keim

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:26 pm

There are no issues known. Maybe you are using non-normalized coordinates for objects? It is written in the manual that normalized coordinates are required for all objects.

Normalized means: x1 <= x2 and y1 <= y2

Or in other words, first specify the coordinates of the upper left corner, then those of the bottom right corner.

If this does not fix the problem, please send the VPE (not the PDF!) document file to our support e-mail address and we will have a look at it.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Uwe Keim » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:06 am

Thanks for your reply!

I assume that a cause could be that I'm jumping between pages forth and back when creating the document. Maybe the VPE-printing part can handle this, but the PDF-creation part gets confused.

I will mail you a VPE-document.
Uwe Keim

Postby Uwe Keim » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:18 am

The following link contains the documents:

http://magerquark.de/data/misc/VPE-example-documents-2005-10-25.zip

I just opened the VPE in your VpeView.exe and it looks the same (i.e. wrong) on page 2+. So probably it is MY fault, but I really dont't know what I am doing wrong. :(

Maybe you can easily spot an error.

Thanks
Uwe
Uwe Keim

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:39 pm

If it is shown wrong in VPE View, then it is no PDF problem, since VPE View only displays VPE documents. We can not examine your document free of charge. Furthermore it is likely that we don't find the cause for this problem when examining the document file. You are doing something wrong by code.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Uwe Keim » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:42 pm

Of course you can't. I just thought you have internal "validation-tools" to run a VPE file against to check for logical errors or similar..
Uwe Keim

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:48 pm

If you are sure you are usinfg normalized coordinates, there is nothing else we could find in the document file, since the objects are stored in the file in the way you had instructed VPE.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Uwe Keim » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:51 pm

I will check everything. Thanks for your fast reply! :)

Schöne Grüße
Uwe
Uwe Keim

Return to VPE Open Forum