Printing with a Dot Matrix

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Printing with a Dot Matrix

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:26 pm

I am using VPEDLL to print to a Dot Matrix printers via an Alaska Xbase Application.

I am have a variety of problems with printing.

I am currently using the font New Courier 11 for 80 character printing and Courier 7 for 132 character compress print.

The first problem that I am having is that on some printers the printing is very very slow. I have set the print quality to medium and it is still print slow.

The second problem is that New Courier 11 is much bigger font than I used to get if I print directly to printer from DOS. I used to be able to get 66 lines per page. Now the number of lines is much less.

With regards to New Courer 7 (compress print), the print is very small.

The printers has an option EMF and RAW for Spool settings? What is the recommended setting?

If I wanted to printer 80 character per page what is the recommended font that I should use? Likewise, what is the recommended font that I should use for 132 characters? Are there any suggestion to make the printing be faster on a Dot Matrix printer?

william kevin thomas
IDEAL Software Support

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:32 pm

>>
The first problem that I am having is that on some printers the printing is very very slow. I have set the print quality to medium and it is still print slow.
<<

VPE only handles True-Type fonts, which means that it will print always in graphics mode. This mode is known to be slow on dot-matrix printers.

>>
The second problem is that New Courier 11 is much bigger font than I used to get if I print directly to printer from DOS. I used to be able to get 66 lines per page. Now the number of lines is much less.
<<

As explained above, VPE is printing True-Type fonts in graphics mode. The internal fonts of dot-matrix printers are not used. This causes the differences, because in your old application you used the internal fonts of the printer.

>>
The printers has an option EMF and RAW for Spool settings? What is the recommended setting?
<<

This depends on the printer / printer driver. We recommend to use the default.

Regarding the other questions we can not help, because we have no experience with dot-matrix printers and how the font "Courier New" is represented on the many different printer models.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum