Sending by email with ms outlook... any success?

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Sending by email with ms outlook... any success?

Postby aleclerc » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm just unable to send email with outlook as mail program. It works with outlook express and thunderbird.

Did anyone had any success with outlook? I tested the 2003 version.

What can I do for this to work?

Info: if I simply 'send' this is not working. But if I delete the email address and re-type it, this is working. I dont' know why.

Thank you for any help.
aleclerc

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:24 pm

Try the following: use the full email address (i.e. "Xyz@abc.com, instead of Xyz).

If this does not help, please provide a source code snippet with the value used for the receiver and all other parameters.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby aleclerc » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:51 pm

Hi,

I was already using the full address. I was not setting the mail sender before because it worked well with all other mail programs. I added it temporarily for outlook test, because I tought it was a factor. Here is the code at the end of the report:

//...
Send DoVpeClearMailReceivers
Send DoVpeSetMailSender ('sender@abc.ca')
Send DoVpeAddMailReceiver ('reciever@ipso.ca') VMAIL_TO
Send DoVpeSetMailSubject (Translate_it(59527) * (PsLastPo(Self)))

Send Close_Doc (Value(oFile(Self)))

As said before, the behaviour is silly: the mail-compose window opens. If I send directly, this is not working and the 'sender' field is empty. If I errase the email address and retype it and send, all is ok. I'm sure this is an outlook problem, but still wondering if there is anything to do.
aleclerc

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:31 pm

Outlook is really giving headaches...

Either use VMAIL_TO + VMAIL_RESOLVE_NAME when calling VpeAddMailReceiver() (and get those annoying warning messages from Outlook that an application is trying to access the address book), or put "SMTP:" in front of your receiver's mail address.

e.g. "SMTP:Xyz@abc.com"

With Outlook 2002 we had some extra code implemented into VPE, which detected if Outlook is the mail client. In such case VPE did put the "SMTP:" string silently in front of the receiver's address. However, the detection code does not work with Outlook 2003. We will try to make a new v3.60 R5 available, which will overcome this problem.

BTW: if you still get the warning message that an application is trying to access the address book, try not to set the sender's name. VPE *must* call the MAPI ResolveName function internally, if a sender is specified.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby aleclerc » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:32 pm

We added SMPT: and this is working correctly.

Now also tested with Outlook Express and it works; and also Thunderbird which removes automatically the SMTP: part from the address.

We will try to test with other maillers. We decided to systematically add SMTP: to the addresses.

Question: when you detect if this is outlook 2002 (and soon 2003), do you also check if SMTP is already there so that we do not have an 'SMTP:SMTP:address@domain.xyz' issue?

PS: How are we informed of new releases of VPE? We still have the original 3.6 and did not know there was an R4.

Regards.
aleclerc

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:59 pm

>>
Question: when you detect if this is outlook 2002 (and soon 2003), do you also check if SMTP is already there so that we do not have an 'SMTP:SMTP:address@domain.xyz' issue?
<<

We will implement a check to avoid this. Maybe we will also implement that "SMTP:" is always put in front. When we made our tests back in 2003 mail clients like Outlook Express and Mozilla did not like the SMTP: header. Did you test other mail clients? Please let us know your test results.

>>
How are we informed of new releases of VPE? We still have the original 3.6 and did not know there was an R4.
<<

Due to the spam-problem, we try to minimize e-mail traffic to our customers. New service releases are announced here in this forum in the section "VPE Announcements".

When releasing new major versions, an e-mail is sent to all customers.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

I am having a similar issue...

Postby csanders » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:34 pm

My issue is when VPE calls MailDoc(), then Outlook 2003 opens up. All of the email addresses that I passed to it are there, just like they should be. I press send. When I received the email, several of the original email addresses have be swapped for the last email address in the list. The last email then may be repeated several times. It appears something internal to Outlook's recipient list is getting confused with what was passed to it.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Chris

VPE v3.60 R4

Code

chCtrlFrame:MailWithDialog = TRUE.
chCtrlFrame:DevJobName = p-subject.
chCtrlFrame:MailSubject = p-subject.
chCtrlFrame:Mailtext = p-msg-txt. /* + -2147483648 */

DO i = 1 TO NUM-ENTRIES(p-address-to,";"):
chCtrlFrame:AddMailReceiver(ENTRY(i,p-address-to,";"), {&VMAIL_TO} ).
END.

nR = chCtrlFrame:MailDoc().
csanders

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:43 pm

We tested it, and here it works with Outlook Express 2003.

Your source code is written in Progress 4GL, we are not familiar with it so we are not sure, but it seems that you are adding a ";" after each e-mail address when calling AddMailReceiver(). This is wrong.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby csanders » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:03 pm

Actually, the ENTRY function is just a string splitter and the semi-colon is the delimiter, so it is not really being passed in to AddMailReceiver.

I would like know more about what AddMailReceiver does, in the way it actually puts the email address. If it is just an email address or more information behind the scenes. When the email client opens everything looks normal but when it sends, it removes some email address and then duplicates others.

Not sure why.
csanders

Postby csanders » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:44 pm

Also, when I said Outlook 2003. I did not mean Outlook Express 2003.
csanders

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:20 pm

Yes, sorry this was a mistake. In fact we tested with Outlook 2003.

>>
I would like know more about what AddMailReceiver does, in the way it actually puts the email address.
<<

There is nothing special. Did you try to put "SMTP:" in front of each e-mail address?

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby csanders » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:31 pm

Yes, I did try this. Outlook 2003 didn't like this. It seemed to try to communicate with the Exchange server. Not sure why, possibly trying to verify the email address.
csanders

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:40 pm

And what happens, if you use VMAIL_TO + VMAIL_RESOLVE_NAME ? (without "SMTP:")

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby csanders » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:28 pm

When I use the resolvename, the outlook client will never display. No matter what setting I have it and it does not load the addresses.

It is strange I know.
csanders

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:57 am

The only idea I have is that there is a configuration problem of Outlook and/or Exchange.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum