Watermark issues

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Watermark issues

Postby nc1264 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:43 am

I want to put a picture as a watermark on every page of a document that is being generated by VPE(35EnterpriseEd) but I want to do this after the document has been generated.
Is it possible to insert a gif, png file that is transparent on each page without loosing the text (that is now on the background). I have read the limitations regarding Gif's so I have created a transparen png file. However, when inserting it into VPE the background of the picture (which should be transparent) is still white and thus covering the text.

Is there an elegant solution for this? Does VPE use the transparency of the image.

I have tried the other solution to print the backgound when a newpage is inserted but when text spills over to a new page my program realizes this after printing the text. This means that the text is printed, the new page is detected and the picture gets inserted over (!) the text. So I loose some lines that where already on the page when the image gets inserted.
Can you detect a pagebreak and force some code to run on the moment this is detected?

Thanks in advance,
Ron
nc1264

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:25 pm

> Does VPE use the transparency of the image.

Transparency for bitmaps is not supported.

> Can you detect a pagebreak and force some code to run on the moment this is detected?

Yes. See the event "AfterAutoPageBreak". Therefore it is no problem to insert images as watermarks, even for text that is automatically created on new pages.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Postby nc1264 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:43 pm

Thorsten,

thanks the for answer. I will adjust our routine to track this as well. The transparency is not a real issue if the background can be place on the page before the text is written.

Thanks,

Ron
nc1264

Return to VPE Open Forum