Limit to preview content

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Limit to preview content

Postby Brent Rose » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:48 am

What is the nature of the limit to the amount of page content that can be previewed?

Case: I have output going to an A1 page (it is a basic app allowing the user to draw a family tree). The preview "peters out" towards the bottom of the page - ie elements of the report simply do not display. If I send the report to a PDF file, for example, all the content is output as expected.

Thanks.
Brent Rose

Re: Limit to preview content

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:08 am

What limitation do you experience? I don't have the technical data in mind and would need to look it up in the source code.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Brent Rose » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:33 pm

I'm referring to the (apparent) point at which no further report output will display in the preview of a given page - as though it might be "running out memory" or some such. I'm wondering if I am hitting some limitation of VPE preview or some limitation of my app or runtime environment.

Specifically, I have a report page that will output in its' entirety to a PDF file as expected, but when the same page is previewed, content towards the bottom of the page is not visible.

I will email a copy of the report in native VPE format and in PDF format to your support address. Thanks.
Brent Rose

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:46 am

We can see the problem, but we can not reproduce it. If we output the text "Bianchi" (in your document below "Sofia Barbara") as RTF at the same coordinates as in your document, it is visible.

To be able to debug, can you create a document file, which only contains the RTF object "Bianchi"?

BTW it doesn't make sense to use Rich Text. A simple text object would do the same, consuming much less memory and drawing much faster.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Brent Rose » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:10 pm

OK, I'll isolate Sofias' details for you.

NB The reason the report uses RTF is that it is intended to enable the user to apply RTF features, even though this feature is not taken advantage of in the sample I have sent. Rendering speed is not really an issue, but clearly memory might be. With a bit of effort I should be able to create a non-RTF version of the same report to see what difference that makes.

I can also try printing the items in more or less reverse order (bottom up) to see if the "invisible items" are different. Might take me a wee while to get all this done...
Brent Rose

Postby Brent Rose » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:59 am

I have sent through the report files containing ONLY the "Sofia Bianchi" object.

Placing the top of this rtf box at Top = 630mm works fine. Placing the top of this rtf box at Top = 640mm demonstrates the problem.

ie Something happens in the preview when the top position is somewhere between 630 and 640 mm, such that the content is "truncated"...

I'll look into it further from this end. Thanks.
Brent Rose

Postby Brent Rose » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:49 am

Further result: I have now tried treating the RTF as plain text (which includes the literal RTF coding) and used a TextBlock rather than an RTF Block... The output previews correctly.

This would suggest something is happening with previewing the RTF output in particular. At this stage I cannot identify anything suspicious in my code, but I'll try implementing the RTF output in a different manner...
Brent Rose

Postby Brent Rose » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:26 pm

OK - thank you for the patch. Problem resolved :D
Brent Rose

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:50 am

Thanks for providing the VPE document files. It helped us to find the cause for the problem.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum