Printing hangs on W2K16

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Printing hangs on W2K16

Postby Andi.Wieland » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:01 am

Some of our customers are having trouble after upgrading their environment to W2K16 (Terminalserver and Printserver).
The applications hangs for up to 2 Minutes when trying to print.
It doesn't happen very often (given the huge number of print jobs startet during each day) but often enough to annoy the users.
We updated VPE from 6.1 to 7.2 but that did not help.
The Application is written in Delphi (32-Bit).

A deeper analysis of the problem showed the following:
  • if the application hangs it is (nearly) always when calling SetupPrinter('SomerPRSFile.prs').
  • The problem ist not related to a specific Computer, User, Printer or PRS-File. The same user on the same Computer accessing the same printer with the same PRS-file just a little earlier or later leads to no hang at all.
  • The Problem ist not PRS-file related. For testing purposes I changed the programm and set DevPaperFormat and DevOrientation by Code without accessing a PRS-file. There were now occasional hangs when setting those properties.

For now I made a workaround and removed access to device properties as far as possible if not really printing (i.e. when using the preview or creating PDF-files).
The hangs are much more seldom now but still happen when the user really needs to print something on a real printer.

Do you have any idea what might be causing this bevahiour?
Or do you even know a fix or a bullet proof workaround for this?
Andi.Wieland

Re: Printing hangs on W2K16

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Sounds like a network problem. When Windows tries to discover a network printer which is offline, such timeouts can happen. This is a case for your system administrator.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum