E-mail client doesn't start

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

E-mail client doesn't start

Postby Bengt » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:04 am

One of my customers has a local network with 4 computers running Outlook 365 as E-mail client and they are sending a lot of E-mails from VPE previews clicking on the E-mail icon. Until last Friday it worked perfectly, but now nothing happens when they click on the E-mail icon on one of the computers. It works from the other three and the program using VPE wasn’t changed.
We installed Thunderbird on that computer for test, and Thunderbird started once when clicking at the icon, but now it doesn’t start.

Any idea about how to come further with this problem?

I suspect that it has something to do with Windows updates that are sent out. I had big problems with windows during the weekend as mouse single clicks often acted as double clicks. It was the same on my two computers. That started Saturday afternoon and stopped Sunday at lunch time.

Bengt
Bengt

Re: E-mail client doesn't start

Postby Horizon2018 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:15 pm

Was there a solution to this issue? Several clients cannot email from the software while others can. We've removed and reinstalled 365 and have verified the default email client as outlook
Horizon2018

Re: E-mail client doesn't start

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:17 pm

As a foreword, we would like to stress what terrible architecture the messaging subsystems of Windows are. We spent MONTHS on MAPI and additionally months on Extended MAPI to make them work. Including a remote debugging session at a customer site in San Francisco. We are therefore no longer willing to investigate new problems with this architectural nightmare. You can use a 3rd party mail component, which is heavily specialized on this single task, catch the mail button event of VPEs preview and send the document using such a 3rd party component.

One question which comes into mind: You do not try to send a mail from a 32-bit application using 64-bit Outlook or vice versa? As written in another post here in this forum, this does not work. Microsoft does not support bridging from 32-bit to 64-bit nor 64-bit to 32-bit.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum