Debugging security settings, need to try alternate ActiveX

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Debugging security settings, need to try alternate ActiveX

Postby PohlDan » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:17 pm

We are experiencing an odd problem that started on 11 January 2005. All of our users with Korean versions of MS Windows can no longer print from our VPEngine based printing system.

Something changed on January 11 that began blocking the ActiveX from being able to send the print stream to the O/S and then the printer. This error is happening only on computers with the Korean version of MS Windows. English versions work OK. On all computers (both Korean and English), the ActiveX is still downloaded and installed OK as needed by the O/S. Other ActiveX functionality (other than printing) seems to also work OK on all computers.

Our developers feel this is no longer a development issue as the ActiveX is known to be downloading and installing correctly (and executing correctly except the printing). For example, Korean users can use the VPEngine ActiveX to select a printer and paper tray with no errors. Therefore, the developers are sure there is a problem in the LAN or the PC that is blocking the print job.

My theory is that the Windows Update released on January 11 (see http://www.microsoft.com/technet/securi ... 5-001.mspx ) was the cause of the problems. However, I can’t prove it because other computers that haven’t received this update are also experiencing the same problem. So, my theory is actually that the network (LAN) was somehow modified by the Windows Update, and now all PC’s on this LAN are affected regardless of whether the individual PC was updated or not.

I would like to test whether these affected computers can print from any ActiveX component, or if the problem is limited to Virtual Print Engine. Does anyone know of a good website or downloadable application we could test that also uses a different ActiveX component for sending a print stream to the printer? It would be great to know if these same computers have the same problem with a different ActiveX component.
PohlDan

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:22 pm

From our point of view, the problem must be related to changed security settings of the Windows operating system, which disallow to print.

Regards
Thorsten Radde
IDEAL Software GmbH
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum