VPE 7.0 - congratulations

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

VPE 7.0 - congratulations

Postby wriedmann » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:16 am

Hello,

my congratulations to the release of VPE 7!

I had not the time to test it, but specially the touch support is welcome (and asked by my customers), and the textblock feature seems to be a very welcome enhancement for the programmer.

Wolfgang
wriedmann

Re: VPE 7.0 - congratulations

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:46 am

Thank you. Please let us know if the touch support is working as expected on the mobile devices you are using.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby wriedmann » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:24 am

Hello Mr. Radde,

I have now ported my interface DLL to VPE 7, and made the first tests on one of my touch devices.

Panning and zooming works as expected - thank you very much! My users will be happy when VPE 7 is released and I upgrade my software to use the new version.

Only one thing: during zooming the preview is not updated (at least not on my Acer Iconia Tab W500, have to test on my other, faster device) - only the rulers are updated. The preview itself is updated only the the end of the zoom process. I know I'm a "I-Tüpfel-Reiter", but I find an immediate response to touch gestures very important.

Thank you very much - as I wrote, touch support on print preview is one of the most requested features these days....

Wolfgang
wriedmann

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:49 am

With our LG multi-touch monitor, connected to a desktop PC running Windows 7, zooming of the preview is done immediately.

From the code structure, everything is ok. It rather seems that the mobile Windows version is delaying and sampling VPE's screen-update calls. What version of Windows is installed?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby wriedmann » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Hello Mr. Radde,

on the device is installed Windows 8.1 Pro. It could be that the graphics driver is optimizing.

I have now tried on a Fujitsu X913T - a fast desktop device (Core i5). There the reaction is immediatly - if I zoom in or out slowly.
On my Fujitsu Q702 tablet (a Core i3 ultra low power) it works better than on the Iconia Tab, but for a correct answer I must zoom in or out very slowly.

I think that the problem is the refresh rate, and I would suggest not to change the preview itself, but to slow down the ruler reaction. The confusing thing IMHO is that these elements are not in sync.

Please try on your test device to zoom in and out a faster, and look the different scaling factors between ruler and preview.

Please - this is a cosmetic issue only - maybe on slower hardware I would rather disable the ruler. And IMHO this has absolutely no priority - if possible, I would release this beta version also to my customers.

I'm very happy with VPE, and I would not miss it!

Wolfgang
wriedmann

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Thank you for your nice comment about VPE. :-)

At present we are not able to provide license keys for v7.0 - due to technical reasons (database management). I am sorry, but you'll have to wait until the final release.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum