Error 201 for ReadDoc

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Error 201 for ReadDoc

Postby chuckatkinson » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:10 pm

When trying to use ReadDoc for externally generated PDF files I get the following error :

201 Document file has the wrong (higher) version and can not be opened / read

I am trialing VPE to see if it will work for my needs.

I need to include some PDF's in my report.
chuckatkinson

Re: Error 201 for ReadDoc

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:41 am

When trying to use ReadDoc for externally generated PDF files I get the following error :

I think you mean VPE files, not PDF files. VPE files are the native file format of VPE, which allows to store documents in a transportable and highly compressed format.

201 Document file has the wrong (higher) version and can not be opened / read

As the error message tells, you are trying to open a VPE document file, which has been created with a higher edition. You have for example installed the Standard Edition, but the document was created with the Professional Edition. Higher editions can always open documents that have been created with lower editions. But because higher editions do offer additional types of graphical objects (for example RTF - Rich Text Format, or 2-dimensional (2D) Barcodes) a lower edition cannot open documents, which have been created by a higher edition.

Solution: Install a higher edition of the VPE trial-version.

To create a PDF file from a VPE file, create a new VPE document in memory by calling OpenDoc(). Read the VPE file using ReadDoc() and write the PDF file using WriteDoc("some file.pdf"). By specifying ".pdf" as file suffix, VPE will create automatically a PDF file. You may also modify several options for compression, encryption, font embedding and font subsetting before calling WriteDoc() - please see the help files / manuals. The next version of VPE will also support PDF/A.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby chuckatkinson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:13 pm

I think you mean VPE files, not PDF files. VPE files are the native file format of VPE, which allows to store documents in a transportable and highly compressed format.

Actually I was attempting to use ReadDoc to read a PDF file to combine it inside my report. So this is not possible? I am very new to VPE. Is there some way to import/insert a PDF file into my report?
chuckatkinson

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:16 pm

VPE does only create PDF files, it does not read them.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby chuckatkinson » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:26 pm

Ok - thanks for your quick response. I may have to consider a different solution.
chuckatkinson

Return to VPE Open Forum