Email Dialogue Opening Behind Preview

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Email Dialogue Opening Behind Preview

Postby mkprima » Thu May 02, 2013 4:35 pm

We have created a report which has been opened within the VPE preview window. At one of our customer sites, when they press the email button the email dialogue window sometimes opens behind the modal preview window which is something that the customer is starting to get irritated by. This only seems to be happening occasionally, I tried it around 50 times without reproducing it.

The VPE is incorporated in a Progress 4GL application and there is code that is run successfully in both the BeforeMail and AfterMail events but nothing that seems to be run between these two events. The customer is using XP Pro and Outlook 2007 (if this is relevant). We are using VPE 3.5.

Is there any way that I can force the email window to the foreground of the application?

Many thanks,

Matt
mkprima

Re: Email Dialogue Opening Behind Preview

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri May 03, 2013 10:43 am

Note: VPE v3.50 is from the year 2002. It is no longer supported.

This is a MAPI / Simple MAPI problem. Using MAPI, the external mail client (i.e. the mail program) is executed. Some mail clients show a strange behavior and fiddle around with the focus and foreground window. We spent a great amount of time - and tricks - to address this issue in later versions of VPE. Whilst we can not guarantee that it will fix the problem for *every* mail client, we suggest that you update to the current version v6.10.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum