Upgrade problem VPE3.6->VPE6.1

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Upgrade problem VPE3.6->VPE6.1

Postby Bengt » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:34 am

Hi,
some Delphi applications shall be transferred from Delphi 2006 on Vista to Delphi 2010 on Windows. Unfortunately, that has to be done in one step as Delphi 2006 doesn't run on Windows 7.

I installed my old VPE 3.6 licence on the Delphi 2010 Windoes 7 system. VPE previews were shown, but both fonts and text were wired. I hoped the problemed would be solved by using a new VPE version so I downloaded the latest one. When compiling the programs there were a couple of errors. The no of parameters of some VPE procedures had been changed as well as some types but after some minor changes, the program compiled withour error. However, the VPE previews were empty except for the DEMO VERSION text in the upper left corner. There must be some major differences between VPE 3.6 anc VPE 6.1 that couse this, but what?

The VPE demo application works.

Bengt
Bengt

Re: Upgrade problem VPE3.6->VPE6.1

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:48 am

The v3.x API was stable and fully backwards compatible for about 10 years. With v4.x in 2007 we changed the API once and since then it is backwards compatible. Some changes were required because of the new port to different platforms, like Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris. Other changes were made do gain a more modern and consistent API.

To see a list of all changes from v3.x to v4.x, please see the file "Release Notes" which is installed with VPE. Especially the section "Compatibility Issues for Users of VPE v3.x". In your case the empty preview indicates that you have not noticed the change of the coordinate system and the renderer. You can insert two lines of code to switch VPE into backwards compatibility mode. This is explained in detail in the "Release Notes".
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum