VPEP 6.1 on Windows 8

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

VPEP 6.1 on Windows 8

Postby EmilGustafsson » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:46 pm

When will it be possible to run VPEP on Windows 8?

We are using the dll from Progress OpenEdge and with VPEP 6.1 we got the following error message print and with Preview we got the preview window but with no document.

SYSTEM ERROR when runnning event dispatcher
Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
Fault address: 17DEE034 01:0002D034 c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\vpep3261.dll
Protrace generated
EmilGustafsson

Re: VPEP 6.1 on Windows 8

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:21 pm

We are currently fixing the problem. The service release will be made available before Windows 8 is officially released to the public.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby pvanmil » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:45 pm

I have the same problem on a development laptop, that I have migrated for testing purposes.

Is there a quick fix for this problem? Do other versions of VPE have the same problem?
pvanmil

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:22 am

The fix will be provided through an update, there is no workaround.

Do other versions of VPE have the same problem?

I don't know, because we do not test or maintain old versions of VPE - we do only test and maintain the latest version. This is why we offer a yearly subscription - so you can always stay up-to-date.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby pvanmil » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:11 am

Is there any news about this issue?
pvanmil

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:32 pm

The bug has been fixed here, we are currently in the final testing phase. It will be released when it is done. Not sooner nor later.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:15 pm

The service release VPE v6.10 R1 has been released yesterday. The new version provides many bugfixes and is compatible with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. All customers with an active subscription can download the update free of charge through our web portal at http://www.IdealSoftware.com/cgi-bin/portal

Please note that the download is not marked as "R1", it is just named "v6.10". The installer writes "R1" onto the screen.

Since this is a service release, the API did NOT change by intention. It is 100% percent compatible to the old v6.10.

We strongly recommend to download and install this update. IMPORTANT: Uninstall the old v6.10 first!

You should also BACKUP the installer of this service release, because it will be removed from our web server when we release the next version.

The trial versions and VPEView have also been updated. Your customers should download and install the update of VPEView - if they are using this tool.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Platinum » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:35 am

Any chance the Community version will be corrected as well?
Platinum

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 am

From the support inquiries of the past years, it has come to our knowledge that many people are using it commercially. Therefore we yet have no release date for an update of the Community Edition.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Jim T » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:36 pm

Please, please, please don't punish all of us for the few jerks that are ripping you off.

I am a very small time programmer. I have been playing with it for about 15 years. In that time I may have made $200 - $400 from programming (and none of it included VPE!!!). I program for my own use, to help older ones in my family (by writing specific programs that get jobs done for them with just a click or two) and some community work for free. I am not very good but I can get the job done mostly. VPE makes printing actually possible for me. If I ever coded something worth selling I would be thrilled to buy the full version.

Meanwhile, I've moved to Windows 8 and I suddenly cannot continue work on the projects that include VPE. A couple of them are utilities that I use monthly for my own use and I have been tweaking them for years! Please don't take this away!

I would have no objection at all to a footer printing automatically on the Community Edition saying that it was "VPE Community Edition - Not to be used for Profit", or something like that. (Or "if you paid for this software you are buying from a pirate!" :wink: )

thanks
Jim Thorne
Jim T

Return to VPE Open Forum