VPE - image resizing

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

VPE - image resizing

Postby ashwathgowda » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Hello Everyone,

We are using VPE 3.5 Active X component,and we are experiencing intermittent problem while printing jpg images from a progress 10.1C (Open edge) program. We have a logic in the program to check the length of the image , and if the length of the image is larger than the bottom margin of the specified template page, then it returns an error resulting in not printing the image.

One user was experiencing this error, since their image length was larger than the page.
So, users have to shorten the length of the image to that of the actual page to print the image.
After trimming (resizing) the image it used to work properly.Now they say that apparently the image was resized somehow and they are back to getting that error again.

Could you please let me know, is there any chance the image could be resized automatically ?

In one of the document related to VPE, i read that images are stored in cache, and if we are printing the same image it takes from cache if its already in cache.

I would like to know, is there a way to set this cache property to NO. So that images are not stored in cache ?

Thanks,
Ashwath.
ashwathgowda

Re: VPE - image resizing

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:26 pm

The cache is only active while any instances of your application are running (it is shared between all instances). If all instances of your application are terminated, VPE is also unloaded from memory by the Windows operating system and therefore the cache - which is held in memory only - is freed. There is no persistent cache on the hard drive or anything like that.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby ashwathgowda » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:36 am

Thanks for the answer.

Could you please let me know, is there a way to set the cache property to NO when the application is running.
i,e everytime the image should be loaded from disk instead of cache even if same image is printed ?

Thanks,
Ashwath
ashwathgowda

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:20 pm

VPE v6.x offers a property "PictureCache", which allows to turn caching individually on or off per picture. VPE v3.50 is from the year 2002. I do not know if the version from 2002 had such a property.

VPE v6.10 also checks the date / time of an image file. If the date / time changed, it is reloaded into the cache. The following is a quote from the release notes of v6.0: "VPE: Last modified file time for image files now invalidates the image cache. You may still not delete or modify files which are used in an open VPE document! But you now may overwrite existing image files - if they are NOT used with any open VPE document - so you can use the new images within new VPE documents."
IDEAL Software Support

Postby ashwathgowda » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:59 am

Thanks. Currently we are using version v3.5. Could you please let me know the procedure and cost involved in upgrading to v6.0 ?

Thanks,
Ashwath
ashwathgowda

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:42 am

For purchase inquiries, please contact us by e-mail.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum