VPE 6.1 E-Mailing Wtih Outlook 2010 SLOW

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

VPE 6.1 E-Mailing Wtih Outlook 2010 SLOW

Postby Mark Powers » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:35 pm

I have just updated from VPE 6.0 to VPE 6.1 (DLL version 6.1.0.6939) and we use the VPE preview and the e-mail button with MS Outlook 2010 all the time. With VPE 6.0 it took about 1.5 seconds for the Outlook interface to popup with the PDf document attached, but with VPE 6.1 it take a consistent 15 seconds for the Outlook e-mail box to popup? I've tried it both on Vista and on Win XP both have the same slower process. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark
Mark Powers

Re: VPE 6.1 E-Mailing Wtih Outlook 2010 SLOW

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:27 am

VPE v6.0 uses Simple MAPI only. VPE v6.10 uses Extended MAPI if the client supports it. So with Outlook Extended MAPI is used by VPE - that is what causes the difference between the two versions. Since we do not observe this problem with Extended MAPI, it might be related to external factors. Are you using Exchange or any other mail server?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Mark Powers » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:57 pm

We are using an external mail server. At least there is some explination of why it over 10 times slower. Is there any setting we can make to turn the "Extended MAPI" off? Otherwise I am going to have to move back to VPE 6.0 because we do use this function frequently and right now it will not be usable in our environment- this will be a big disapointment.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Powers

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:22 pm

There is currently no way to force a switch to Simple MAPI, since Microsoft claims that Extended MAPI is better. We did believe them. I would recommend to find out why it is so slow. Please check your server configuration. What happens if you start Outlook directly, and what happens if you click the mail button in MS Word (which is using Extended MAPI)?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Mark Powers » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for answering my questions!

What we are using here is Exchange, but the exchange server is remote to our location. It is actually hosted form a third party so I really don't have access to any of their server settings.

I have done as you suggested and tried it with Word and with Word the e-mail box immediatly comes up. I will do some more testing but I am not sure that I have much control or or how else I can test why VPE with Outlook 2010 in our particular configuration is over 10 times slower when e-mailing.

I am hoping you will take this into consideration for future revisions of VPE to be able to select simple MAPI as a property and expose that property to use - if I had that at least I could test the simple MAPI with VPE 6.1. For now I'll have to downgrade backward and move back to version 6.0 in order to continue to use VPE. VPE 6.0 with simple mapi workd great for us.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Powers

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:39 am

Simple MAPI does also cause several problems under various configurations. But you are not the first one reporting problems with Extended MAPI, so it is very likely that the next service release will provide a property to force a turnover to Simple MAPI (and vice versa to Extended MAPI).

But before, please contact our support by e-mail and ask for a development build of VPE due to Extended MAPI problems (please provide your license key in the e-mail). We implemented several workarounds into the current development build due to Extended MAPI problems reported by customers. None of the problems was like yours, but maybe it is solved as a side-effect.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum