7.3 not saving portrait/landscape for new .prs files

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

7.3 not saving portrait/landscape for new .prs files

Postby davem » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:33 pm

Hi Support,

Thank you for the new 7.3 release.

I've have just completed testing which shows the changes working fine for the most part, but I have a scenario where it still doesn't save the portrait/landscape option.

Steps to re-create:

1. Remove your .prs file.

2. Open up the printer setup window (left is old setup dialog, right is new)

* the first difference I can see is the lack of portrait/landscape option but that's not a show stopper issue as those options are also available on the Printer Properties dialog (it could be the cause of why the portrait/landscape option isn't saving?).

3. Open the printer properties and select landscape (I've changed all options to show what is retained - left changing all options from default, right highlights what is not retained after .prs save)

*IF* I open the setup dialog with vpe 7.2 and perform the same actions again (updating the .prs file with landscape enabled), the landscape option is now retained PLUS subsequent use with 7.3 also continues to save the correct portrait/landscape value properly. It's like 7.2 puts the .prs file in a state where 7.3 works properly.

*The number of copies is only retained if the value is changed from the Setup dialog, not from Printer Properties.

I have tested this with Windows 10 (22H2) and Windows 11(23H2) with the same results.

Kind Regards,
Dave
davem

Re: 7.3 not saving portrait/landscape for new .prs files

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:48 am

The behaviour regarding the page orientation is intentional.

With VPE, you can specify the page orientation for each page separately while creating a document. The settings in the printer properties have therefore no effect, because the settings of each page of the document override them. It was always an inconsistency, that the Windows built-in dialog let you choose the orientation. With the new printer setup dialog, we fixed this. That's why there is no option in the new dialog. If you want to specify the orientation for the whole document, create your own dialog and apply this setting to each page.

This also applies to page dimensions and other properties, because you can specify each per page in a VPE document.

Regarding the number of copies, we confirm this to be a bug.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby davem » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:37 pm

With VPE, you can specify the page orientation for each page separately while creating a document. The settings in the printer properties have therefore no effect, because the settings of each page of the document override them.

Very true, it's been a while since I've done any new VPE development and surprising how much I forgotten :D

Thanks for taking a look at the "Number of Copies" bug.

Kind Regards,
Dave
davem

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:48 pm

We will release the fix for the number of copies bug in the near future. Also the setting for collation was not moved from the private printer dialog to VPE's new printer setup dialog. The release will be a free service release and all users of v7.30 will be notified by e-mail when it is made available.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby davem » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:59 pm

Hi Support, has this issue been fixed?

I am waiting to purchase version 7.3 (upgrading from 7.2) once this has been validated.

Kind Regards,
Dave
davem

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:59 pm

It will be made available by the end of the month. This is a minor bug and rather a show-stopper. You can safely start to use v7.30 and then download and install the free update.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby davem » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:33 pm

Thanks.

When the trial download is updated I'll use that first for testing before purchasing the upgrade.

Kind Regards,
Dave
davem

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:15 pm

We released the update.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby davem » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:50 pm

Thanks, looks good. Thanks for fix.

Kind Regards,
Dave