Importing images in VPE create huge files

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Importing images in VPE create huge files

Postby nc1264 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:23 am

We create vpe files for our labels. We now need to bring in pictures (30Kb) but this increases the file size with 4Mb (!). In some occasions we bring 5 pictures making the filesize 20Mb (!). Without the pictures it is 50Kb.

I want the picture to be part of the file. I have played around with the settings but I have not been able to reduce the filesize without taking the pictures out.

I have tried to use jpg, png etc but the results are the same.

Is this behaviour by design for 3.5 or am I doing something wrong here.

We are using VPE 3.5 Enterprise Edition.

Any help is appreciated!
nc1264

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:17 pm

Please note that embedding images in VPE versions less than v4.0 is very costly regarding the file size of a ctreated VPE document file, because each image is embedded in uncompressed form and it is embedded as many times as there are picture objects referring to it.

In v4.0 this has been drastically improved: Images are stored in VPE document files in their original format (tif, jpeg, png, gif, etc.), if the format is a compressed format. If the original file is not compressed (e.g. bmp, wmf, emf, etc.), VPE will compress it using ZLib compression.
Furthermore an image is only embedded once within a VPE document file, regardless of how many picture objects are referring to it.

VPE v4.0 Enterprise Edition will be released in short.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum