Strang Delay when calling VpeLicense

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Strang Delay when calling VpeLicense

Postby starzen » Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:37 pm

this is using the DLL interface

noticed that when calling the VpeLicense function there is an unusual delay of 10-20 seconds

this doesnt happen on all workstations but i cant see anything that would cause this.

is there anything you can tell us what could be causing these delays? Users are not happy about these.

thanks

Michael Salzlechner
StarZen Technologies, Inc
starzen

Re: Strang Delay when calling VpeLicense

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:34 pm

From the code within VpeLicense(), there is nothing that could cause such delays. What can cause delays is VpeOpenDoc(), when the default printer is a network printer that is offline. The delay is caused by the Windows OS when accessing the printer-driver to obtain some information.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby starzen » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:04 pm

it is happening every time i call VpeLicense for both calls. no issue calling VpeOpenDoc

i show the current time before calling VpeLicense and after

i dont know what it is doing but i see it is accessing the registry a ton. Will need to check into detail what it might be doing thats slowing it down

odd thing is the same program runs without issues on some machines but has the problem on others
starzen

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:29 am

What version of VPE are you using? 32- or 64-bit?

What Windows version are you using? 32- or 64-bit?
IDEAL Software Support

Postby starzen » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:37 pm

this is an older system thats been running for a while. it is using 3.6

upgrading it right now would not be a good idea. as you know there is a big change from 3.6 to 4 and later with parameter types. would require a lot of changes and worse testing all the reports.

it is running on some machines so it should obviously work. if i'd know what its doing i might be able to see whats causing it
starzen

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:44 pm

Version 3.60 is from 2004 and nearly 20 years old. It is possible that this version accesses the registry, because it was able to handle server licensing. This has been dropped in a later version, so the current code is not accessing the registry or doing anything that could cause a delay.

It is not possible for us to fix any problems or provide support for such an old version.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum