Lockups in VpeOpenDoc - VPE 7

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Lockups in VpeOpenDoc - VPE 7

Postby wriedmann » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:50 am

Hello,

sometimes I have lockups in the VpeOpenDoc function. I'm using the DLL interface, and the problem is occurring in both the Standard and the Professional Edition.
The problem is not occuring only on customers PCs, but also on my development machine - from time to time. Restarting the machine will cure the problem.
When the problem is occurring, it occurs in both editions at the same time.
I never had this problem with VPE 6 or VPE 4 (never used VPE 5).

I know this sounds very strange, and since it is not a persistent problem, it will be very hard to find or to debug. Maybe you can find some code that could cause such an issue. It is not a loop, als the program shows up in the task manager with 0% CPU.

I'm using the most recent VPE version (VPE 7.0 R2), but I had it also in R1 (in fact, after having the problem today, I uninstalled R1 and installed R2, but it does not solved anything). I can exclude that the cause is in my software because it is occurring in all applications that use this DLL, and it does not occur after a restart of the machine. Today, my machine was started at 8:00, and I'm using Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Wolfgang
wriedmann

Re: Lockups in VpeOpenDoc - VPE 7

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:06 am

Please contact our support e-mail address for further investigation.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Mark Powers » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:24 pm

I believe I have experienced this same problem. Since upgrading to 7.x (also the latest service pack), I have had several computers randomly fail to be able to open a VPE document. Previously when using VPE 6.1 we never had this problem. I tried to find some error codes in the windows system log but was unable to find anything. I found that I had to totally power down the computers that had this problem and after restarting they work find for several days until something triggers the VPE OpenDoc to fail again. I have sent Ideal Software tech support this problem.
Mark
Mark Powers

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 am

The problem has been fixed in October for wriedmann. You contacted us on November 18th late in the night (due to timezone differences), and we sent you the hotfix the next day on November 19th in the morning, with the text: "The attached version should fix the problem. Please let me know, because we want to release it ASAP officially."

So instead of complaining in this forum, please let us know the status of the fix.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby Mark Powers » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:45 pm

Dear Ideal:
Please accept my apology as I sincerely did not intend it to be a complaint in any way, but only to let the original post that another person had the same problem! I am a HUGE fan of VPE.

Unfortunately I did not receive the the patch and I don't see it in my Junk either being held up?
Thanks
Mark
Mark Powers

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:58 pm

It had been sent Wed, 19 Nov 2014 09:33:09 CET. If possible, please mail us with a different mail address, and we will re-send it to this new mail address.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum