Installation on citrix

Knowledge exchange related to the VPE Report Engine and PDF Library

Moderator: IDEAL Software Support

Installation on citrix

Postby thomasr » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:21 am

Hi

I have just downloaded the professional version and installed it on my development machine. All good there. Now I want to install it on our citrix servers to be used in production. What do I need to do. I have copied all files in the deploy folder (ocx, dep and dll) to the windows/syswow64 folder. running the program gives me: Could not load file or assembly 'idealsoftware.vpeprofessional...
I previously used the trail version for the professional edition and recompiled the report.

What am I missing?
Kind regards
Thomas Rothlisberger
thomasr

Re: Installation on citrix

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:27 pm

For deployment, please see the help file titled "Programmer's Manual", section "Redistributing VPE".

The error message indicates you are using .NET. But you are copying for example the VPE ActiveX, which is useless in that case.

For .NET specific installation, please consult the .NET documentation from Microsoft, or .NET specific forums. See for example here: http://www.vkinfotek.com/assembly.html

In short: the VPE assembly needs to be either in the folder of your application, or you need to install it with an installer into the GAC.

See also here for a different scenario: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837908/en-us
IDEAL Software Support

Postby thomasr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:04 am

Hi
Checking the windows/assembly directory, there is a file called 'idealsoftware.professional' with the token I got in the error message. I then tried to install the idealsoftware.professional.dll in my application folder and also reference it in the windows/assembly folder in my .net program. Nothing worked.
I did then the following:
- run the vpep32.exe in one of the citrix servers but backed out after entering the response key because I already activated the software from my development machine.
- copied all the dll's from the deploy folder into windows/syswow64
After that it all worked but I don't think that is the right approach. I can only assume the running of the vpep32.exe registered/installed something somewhere. Would you be able to tell me what might have been registered or installed?

Kind regards
Thomas
thomasr

Postby thomasr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:18 am

Also after installing the professional edition with the license key, the banner with the words 'demo' are still appearing. I would have thought the uninstall of the trail version and then installing the purchased version would get rid of this banner. I have read through the forum and nothing seems to help. I am using Progress with .Net and placing the vpe professional onto my form. I have copied the license,licx file to my folder from where I run the report but that does not help either.

Kind regards
thomasr

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:28 am

Please see our technical article http://idealsoftware.com/opensource/net-licensing.html.

If this does not help, please contact Progress software and ask how they intend to deploy an app that is using external assemblies. They will for sure have an answer.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby thomasr » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:39 am

Hi
1. Would you be able to answer my question in regards to the installation steps I took on the citrix side. I previoyusly got the message that the file or assembly could not be loaded. I then run vpep32.exe on the citrix server to the point of entering the response key. After that I didn't get the error message again.

2. In regards to the licence file, I will talk to Progress. However can you confirm my understanding is correct.
Because Progress can not find this licenses.licx file it assumes I am using the trial version and therefore it displays the banner.
I have also the Community version on my development machine and that does not display the banner because there is no license to consider.

You help is greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Thomas
thomasr

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:25 am

vpep32.exe is the installer of the VPE SDK (Software Development Kit). It registers the VPE .NET assembly in the GAC. That is why your app finds VPE afterwards.

Please read the links I posted. They contain all the information you require for deployment.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 am

Regarding the licenses.licx file: This is invented by Microsoft for Visual Studio. I don't know how Progress handles licensing. You can send Progress the link to our Open Source project http://idealsoftware.com/opensource/net-licensing.html. They can use this source code to enable licensing in their IDE / Compiler, if they didn't do that already. As explained before: The licensing must be performed by the application, and it is the responsibility of Progress to handle it in the way that .NET requires.
IDEAL Software Support

Postby thomasr » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:52 am

Hi
I have been in contact with tech support at Progress and they gave me some instructions of how to create a license.dll and pdb file using visual studio (express). I did all that but the annoying banner is still there. Using the ocx from v7 seems to be working and no banners.

Kind regards
Thomas Rothlisberger
thomasr

Postby IDEAL Software Support » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:34 am

This problem is specific to Progress OpenEdge, because our customers which use C# or VB.NET have no such problems.

If you wish, we can support your company to solve the problem, but this is out of the scope of our free support. You can contact our support e-mail address for further assistance.
IDEAL Software Support

Return to VPE Open Forum